Karen Gantz Literary Management of New York City works
with authors of all genres but specializes in non-fiction.
At this time, we are accepting query letters and summaries
by e-mail only. If we decide to review your manuscript,
we will request that you send a submission by postal
mail according to the guidelines set forth below. Response
time varies but typically takes four weeks.
Please send your query letter and summary to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover Letter and Summary Requirements:
Non-Fiction and Fiction
- Author's Name
- Author's mailing address
- Author's e-mail address
- Author's telephone number(s)
- Working title of manuscript and alternative titles
- Summary of the book (1-2 pages)
- Statement of the progress of the manuscript status
(whether it is in the initial stages, is complete
or is finished but requires fact-checking, etc.)
- Estimated word count of completed manuscript
Manuscript Submission Requirements:
Non-Fiction and Fiction
- A cover letter that includes all of the information
listed above in the guidelines
- Clever title of the book as well as alternative
titles of the book
- A book proposal including the following:
- Description of the contents of the book
- Author - a short description only (not a curriculum
vitae) that includes:
- Credentials and that qualify the author
to write about the topic of the book and recognition
(e.g. awards) the author has received.
- Previous publication(s)
- Publicity about the author
- Target audience and why readers would find the
- List other books in the same genre that could
be considered competitors of the book. State how
your book differs from the other books and why
your book would sell.
- Marketing strategies and resources for the promotion
of the book. Please include any media contacts
you may have.
- Blurbs for the book, the names of individuals
who would be willing to review the book, the names
of individuals who would conduct interviews, etc.
- Table of contents
- Sample chapter. It must be double spaced, 12
pitch font, with page numbers on every page.
- Brief summary of each chapter of the book
What You Can Expect After Submitting:
All submissions will receive a response from us. Please
do not contact us to find out the status of your submission
unless eight weeks have passed since your submission.
Upon our request, you may send a submission by postal
mail. It should include the following:
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) if you would
like your work returned
- If you wish to include other items such as photographs,
videos/DVDs or newspaper articles, please send us
copies and not originals
- Cover letter and synopsis
Please allow us four weeks to review your full work.
If we do not respond within four weeks, please send
an email inquiring about your submission.